Twirling up to a height of 2,000 feet (606.7 m.), the Chicago Spire would rank as the Western Hemisphere's tallest building. But will that strikingly designed US$2-billion-plus project actually be built? Some doubt it, but the Spire's Irish developer says he's revved up and ready to launch construction - soon.
|Giant in a Land of Giants: The Chicago Spire (right center) towers above the Second City's nighttime skyline in this artist's rendering. To the left of the Spire, with the band of light around its top, is the 1,127-foot- (341.9-m.-) tall John Hancock Tower, foreshortened by its greater distance from Lake Michigan's shoreline.
Image: Shelbourne Development/Santiago Calatrava
This week's issue also brings you new and exclusive stories from the freshly printed May 2007 issue of Site Selection, including links to a year's worth of award-winning reporting on our award winners::
|Good Call: Alabama Gov. Bob Riley helped persuade Verizon to locate a 1,300-job call center in Huntsville, part of a banner year that helped the Alabama Development Office win the 2006 Competitiveness Award. ||
There's more expansion news online in global project coverage from London-based partner Oxford Intelligence.
This week's installment includes:
- "F&P in Thai Move to Remain Competitive"
- "TATAA Biocenter Opens Czech Office"
- "UPM Launches Plant in Poland"
- "Tetra Pak Expands in China"
- "AstraZeneca Announces Cuts in Germany"
Offshoring jobs: It's a hot-button issue of the highest order. But what should national governments do about it? Protect all industries, protect only a few, or provide incentives for keeping jobs at home? Register your opinion in our new "What's Your Take?"
About that award winning: We're proud to announce that Site Selection last week took home a silver Gamma award for Best Single Issue from the Magazine Association of Georgia and the Southeast, for our September 2006 issue.
Site Selection Executive Editor of Interactive Publishing
| Upcoming Conferences and Expositions of Note
Read more on the expanded events calendar at SiteNet.com.
- May 4 - 5, 2007 AURP BioParks 2007, Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, MA
- May 6 - 9, 2007 BIO International Convention, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, Boston, MA Sponsored by:
- May 20 - 23, 2007 2007 International Council of Shopping Centers Spring Convention, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- May 20 - 22, 2007If You Build It Conference, Westin Crown Center, Kansas City, MO
- May 21 - 23, 2007 7th annual Shared Services Week & Excellence Awards 2007, Hilton Prague, Prague, Czech Republic Sponsored by:
- May 21 - 22, 2007 Program on Negotiation for Senior Executives, Cambridge, MA
- May 22 - 24, 2007 CDFA's Annual Development Finance Summit, Miami Beach Resort & Spa, Miami, FL
- May 24 - 26, 2007 INTEX Shanghai International Exhibition Centre, Cityscape China, Shanghai, China Sponsored by:
- May 28 - 29, 2007 CRE Russian Investment Conference, Swissotel Krasnye Holmy, Moscow, Russia
How to Develop a Global CRE Services Strategy
May 23, 2007 2-3pm EDT
Increasingly, corporations with global portfolios utilize global CRE services delivery strategies. The marketplace is responding with blockbuster mergers, acquisitions and the development of regional and global networks. Join us for this complimentary webinar as we share new market research and explore critical questions, including:
- What are the key considerations in the development of a global CRE services strategy?
- How do you align global CRE services strategy with current marketplace realities to maximize quality, efficiency and accountability?
- How are service providers changing in response to global demands?
- Are changes in the global marketplace affecting companies with regional or national portfolios?
Presented by EMSInsight, a division of Expense Management Solutions, a trusted name in strategic advisory services for strategic relationship management, corporate real estate, administrative services, and purchasing organizations.
CONDUCT LOCATION RESEARCH
ON ANY U.S. STATE OR COMMUNITY
DevelopmentAlliance.com has always offered detailed state, county, metropolitan
and micropolitan statistical data for companies seeking new business locations
in the U.S. ... The Web site enables comparisons of critical data sets from every
U.S. county and gives corporate site selectors the ability to select up to five
communities at once for a side-by-side comparison. Now you can also find important
international data through our International Guide.
This is a free service of Conway Data, Site Selection magazine, SiteNet.com
and the International Economic Development Council. Just log on to DevelopmentAlliance.com
and find out what thousands of other site selectors have already discovered:
is the place to go when conducting Internet-based research on possible
NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION
SIGN UP FOR SITENET DISPATCH
Did a friend forward you this e-mail? Sign up for your own free e-mail newsletter
by visiting http://www.sitenet.com
Please add SiteNet Dispatch [[email protected]] to your address book to prevent your email
system from filtering our newsletters as spam. Look at our online archive to find what
you missed, http://www.sitenet.com/dispatch
Please send comments about content to Adam Bruns or suggestions
for how to improve this newsletter to Shannon Landin.
MAGAZINE CUSTOMER SERVICE
For magazine subscription concerns such as back issues, address changes, and account status information,
please visit our customer service department at http://www.siteselection.com/response
Would you prefer to read this newsletter in your web browser?
The SiteNet Dispatch is best viewed at a screen resolution of 800 x 600
The SiteNet Dispatch is a free service of SiteNet (http://www.sitenet.com),
the Internet's premier source of corporate real estate and economic development
Copyright 2006, Conway Data, Inc. All Rights Reserved.